Thursday 31 January 2013

My Photo Shoot

Analysing my photographic practise 

The prelim task clearly stated that the front cover of the magazine needed to include a medium close up. The location I have shot the photo in is somewhere that is popular in the college and in terms of mise-en-scene I wanted it to be somewhere where the target audience would know about. The model I have used I think represents the target audience of students and looks cool and fashionable, I think my model addresses the camera and contains eye contact with the reader. I asked her to look at the camera and smile to note that the students are friendly and inviting way connoting 'Youth as fun' (Hedbridge, 1979)  The problems with the photograph is that it may not be completely in focus and the lighting is a bit to bright, I didn't use a flash as that would make the lighting worse.

This photo again is a medium close up which is what the prelim task states it needs to be. The location of this shot is outside of the 6th From Common Room in terms of mise-en scene this would apply to the target audience and they would know where it is. There is obvious problems with this photo as the model is not looking at the camera and therefore not engaging with the reader. I wanted a shot where the model looked calm and relaxed again to appeal to the audience. This shot is defying the theory of
'Common mood in teenagers was depressed' (Stanley Hall 1904)

This image was positioned in the same location as the image I used for my front cover but I had just caught my model off guard. This isn't the best image and I haven't included in my prelim task however it is still a medium close-up and apart from the positioning of the model it would be okay to use as it is still in focus and the natural light makes the photo look clear and appropriate.  This shot is defying the theory of 'Youth as trouble' (Hedbridge, 1979).



This photo was taken to represent the animal care department of the college, so in terms of mise-en-scene this photo has a lot to do with the college. However the photo I have taken is clear and in focus there is another animal in the picture so I couldn't use it for either my contents page or my front cover because it looks unprofessional. the natural light makes the photo good quality as it is completely in focus and I actually like this photo its only because of the other animal that makes it unusable.


This photo is an example of bad lighting and bad quality. I would not have used this photo anyway because it is not in a good setting and the model isnt looking at the camera so it wouldn't connect with the audience which is what I want. The lighting in this photo is awful and the photo therefore is very dark. In terms of mise-en-scene this may support the theory of 'Common mood in teenagers is depressed' (Stanley Hall, 1904) because of the bad lighting and setting.

This photo supports the theory 'Youth as fun' because the model is smiling and looking happy. This would fit well with the magazine as it would connect with the audience and come across to them as if school and college is fun. However I do not like the setting or the lighting in this photo and I don't think its completely in focus which ruins it a bit and I won't include it in my contents page or front cover.

















1 comment:

  1. In terms of your planning, you must make sure all posts are published (e.g. your audience post is not complete) because you are being graded on time management skills. Regarding your analysis of existing products and critical reflection of your photoshoot your are starting to show proficient ability. To improve on this during your main task planning make you consistently do the following:

    1) Include more detail (genre, audience, institution, representation, media language)
    2) Use more media terminology
    3) Make sure you use a range of mediums on your blog (e.g. Prezi, imove, YouTube etc)
    4) Make sure you include all the theory you learnt for the exam module
    5) When you create your SurveyMonkey's you need to include a wider range of questions that will help shape your practical work.

    ReplyDelete